In this week’s episode Dr Ankur Kalra’s guest is Dr. Purvi Parwani, Director of Women’s Cardiovascular Disease Clinic and Assistant Professor at Loma Linda University Medical Center.
In this special ESC 2021 edition of Parallax, Ankur asks Purvi to review the highlights of the congress. Purvi summarises the design and findings of the trials and their importance in the treatment of patients. Ankur and Purvi discuss how the novel data presented at ESC will inform their practice.
Trials covered in detail include
• SSaSS: Effect of Salt Substitution on Cardiovascular Events and Death,
• STEP: Intensive vs. standard blood pressure control among older hypertensive patients
• EMPEROR-Preserved and Pooled: Effect of empagliflozin on cardiovascular death and heart failure hospitalisations in patients with heart failure with a preserved ejection fraction, with and without diabetes,
• LOOP: Screening for AF with an implantable loop recorder to prevent stroke compared with results of the STROKESTOP trial,
• IAMI: Influenza Vaccination after Myocardial Infarction randomised trial.
What are the take-home messages of ESC 21? How can we utilise the findings in our practice? What are the questions that need further investigation?
Brought to you by Edwards.